The same old, same old doesn’t cut it when it comes to attracting top talent.
I graduated from college in the mid-90s. Finding a job back then was easy. You went to Monster.com, entered the type of job you were looking for in the city where you wanted to work, hit “search,” and an endless supply of jobs presented in living color on your 15” CRT monitor. This was back in the day when remote work wasn’t a thing, and AOL was considered cutting-edge. So, the fact that you could go on your computer, dial into the World Wide Web at the blistering speed of 56kbps, open Netscape Navigator, and find jobs on Alta Vista was innovative.
Founded in 1995, Monster was one of the first internet job search sites on the market. It was a game-changer for human resources professionals. Instead of running an ad in the local newspaper, savvy HR people could post a job online on the internet.
Fast forward three decades, two recessions, and one global pandemic, and attracting talent is a whole new ballgame. Winning the war for talent is more competitive than ever. Today, HR pros need to be one part human resource expert and one part marketing genius. Welcome to the Age of Talent Attraction Marketing.
In today’s competitive job market, a well-executed talent acquisition strategy is essential for businesses looking to hire the best and brightest. It’s not enough to simply post a job listing online and hope the right candidates find it. Companies need to proactively engage with potential hires, accentuate their employer brand, and be creative in their recruiting efforts. That’s why talent acquisition marketing has become so important. Here's what you need to know about how to use it effectively.
Why Do Companies Need a Talent Acquisition Strategy?
Companies need a talent acquisition strategy to ensure they are attracting and retaining the best talent for their organization. A well-crafted strategy helps to identify and target the best candidates for open positions, as well as create and manage a pipeline of top talent for future openings. Additionally, it helps to develop a competitive recruiting process that encourages candidates to apply and allows companies to measure the success of their recruitment efforts. Ultimately, an effective talent acquisition strategy can help organizations achieve their objectives, such as increased productivity and profitability, by ensuring they have the right skills and people in place to do the job.
What is Talent Acquisition Marketing?
Talent acquisition marketing is the process of creating and executing campaigns designed to attract top talent from both inside and outside of your organization. This can include everything from leveraging word-of-mouth referrals, running targeted ad campaigns, producing content pieces that showcase your company culture, creating employer branding initiatives, or utilizing social media platforms like LinkedIn or Facebook to connect with job seekers.
The Benefits of Talent Acquisition Marketing
Talent acquisition marketing helps businesses identify and recruit high-quality candidates quickly and efficiently. It also offers an opportunity for companies to differentiate themselves in the job market and stand out from the competition by showcasing their unique value proposition as an employer. Additionally, it can help reduce recruitment costs by streamlining the hiring process and helping organizations find qualified candidates faster than ever before.
It’s All About Culture
Culture is often the deciding factor for recruiting and retaining employees when deciding between multiple job offers. Culture plays a major role in how satisfied employees are with their job and how likely they are to stay with the company. A positive culture can attract the best talent and also help retain them by providing a positive environment that encourages growth and development. Additionally, a positive culture can help to create an atmosphere of collaboration, trust, and respect, which can further enhance employee satisfaction.
Creating a Talent Acquisition Strategy
If you're new to talent acquisition marketing, there are a few steps you should take first:
1. Start by getting human resources, leadership, and marketing in the same room. Aligning these key stakeholders is crucial to a successful talent attraction campaign. Too often, HR is left on an island and asked to work miracles.
2. Next, talk to your employees. What do they like about working at your company? What is less than ideal? Consider engaging an impartial third party to survey your team. You’ll get different answers if an outsider asks the questions. Then, assess your current recruitment strategy; what works, and what doesn't? Identify areas where improvement is needed and set goals accordingly.
3. After that, create a target list of potential hires based on their skill set, experience level, cultural fit, etc. We call these personas and they’re essential for any marketing endeavor. Then, develop a plan for how you will reach them (job postings on relevant websites or social media channels) as well as track their progress throughout the recruitment process (applying analytics).
4. Once all that is done, you need to create an employer brand that sets you apart from all the other companies competing for the same employees.
5. Finally, measure your results over time so that you can adjust your approach as needed moving forward.
Talent acquisition marketing is essential for any business looking to stay competitive in today's job market. By running targeted marketing campaigns, companies can quickly identify ideal fit candidates who match their specific criteria—and do so more cost-effectively than ever before. The key is having a clear plan before getting started so that you know exactly what steps need to be taken in order to achieve success. With a solid foundation in place, you'll be able to quickly build up your team with top talent while developing a stand-out employer brand that stands the test of time.